The public area of Stanley Road Waste Management Facility is a transfer station that accepts the following items for recycling and waste disposal:
- Fridges, freezers & air conditioners
- Household hazardous waste
- Electronic waste
- Steel & general metal
- Wood and timber
- Green waste
- Asbestos (special conditions apply) (temporarily unable to dispose)
- Special burials, including quarantine waste disposal (temporarily unable to dispose)
- Car & truck tyres
- Car bodies
- Building and demolition waste
- Sand & soil
- General waste
It is best to sort your load into the above categories when packing your vehicle so it is easier to unload. Vehicles can be parked next to the appropriate bins to unload. If you have heavy items please ask for assistance. There are wide turning areas so it is generally not necessary to reverse a trailer.
The Trash and Treasure Shop has items for sale that have been diverted from landfill. Items available change on a daily basis and are cheaply priced.
Behind-the-scenes the facility is a licensed Class 2 landfill for municipal, commercial and industrial waste. The facility also has specialist waste disposal areas for quarantine waste, asbestos and special burials. Under the terms of the current licence, the facility can accept the following:
- Clean fill
- Inert waste (Type 1 and 2)
- Putrescible waste
- Asbestos (Special Waste Type 1)
- Biomedical waste (Special Waste Type 2); and
- Other wastes that comply with the Class II criteria.
The landfill commenced operation in 1990 and has operated as a licensed Class 2 Landfill since January 1997, with its license renewed annually. Prior to becoming a landfill the site was vacant land.
The land surrounding the site contains natural bushland managed by the BHRC. The bush is home to many native animals, including kangaroos, emus and many bird and reptile species.
The site is located in Stanley Road, Australind. It is east of the Forrest Highway, 20km northeast of Bunbury and 2km south of Marriot Road…